Saturday, January 3, 2015

It was June 2012- my family of five was leaving for vacation to one of our favorite destinations of all time- Yellowstone!  
I had been out and about, running around town on the morning we were leaving.  You know, that last minute stuff you always just HAVE to do before leaving?   

When I got home, I fell, coming in the door to our home.  I was sure it was my new sandals that were a bit too big.  Two days later, though, while in Montana, my daughter and I were in an office building.  I fell again while wearing completely different shoes!  I knew then that something was definitely wrong.  In fact, that entire trip, I noticed I felt weaker.  

Prior to this, in fact for at least a year, I had been swimming a couple of hours each morning, five days a week.  I was doing "aqua aerobics" and LOVED it!  To this day I miss it terribly!

Months and months of countless tests, none of which were overly pleasant, I was told, "ALS".  It's a death sentence, a terminal illness that affects the motor neurons of the body.  It takes it all, the ability to walk, use the arms, hands, talk and eventually, breathe.  

At this point, I can do a mean shuffle!  I can no longer lift my legs to walk, but count myself blessed.  Just last month, I lost the ability to open the supposed "child proof" pill bottles.  My hands are failing me.  I am still so happy that I can type and play the piano.  I feel that will one day go too, but until then, I will tickle the old ivories with as much gusto as I can.

I don't intend to quit until you've heard I had no choice- I've gone on.  I hope I can still be an inspiration to many.  

No comments:

Post a Comment