Tuesday, January 6, 2015

I Have an Alias

I have felt like I've been in the Twilight Zone for the past few days.  You see, last week, my doctor put me on a new diabetes medication to see if it would do the trick in lowering my blood sugar enough to avoid insulin.  In talking to others with ALS, I have found that even those who aren't diabetic, can find they suddenly have high blood sugar.  I've had diabetes
for a couple of years now.  I am happy to report that the new medicine will probably do the trick because my numbers are already getting lower now, even before taking the first dose today.

Didn't I say my doctor put me on it last week?  Why yes, dear observant reader, I did.  Here's where we enter the Twilight Zone..... The nurse let me know the medicine had been called in last week.  So, I go to the pharmacy to ask for it by my name (of course, who else's?!) .  I hear, "nothing is here for you."  To which I reply, "o.k. my doctor was supposed to call two meds in for me so I'll check back with you tomorrow."  As it just so happened, I was back in the area the next day and did just that.  Once again I hear from a different pharmacy tech, "there's nothing here for you."  I now replied, "hmmm...that's strange, but being the holidays, who knows. I will check with them."   

Now, having a bad memory like I sometimes do now a days, I forgot to contact the doctor's office.  Finally, I emailed the nurse (I love that I can do that!) and she called me yesterday.  She tells me that the pharmacy told her I have two prescriptions ready for pick-up and have for a few days!!!   Glenn took me out last night so we stopped by to pick them up.  What do I hear from a young tech (seriously young, smacking her gum, young)---"nothing here for you."  I just about screamed right there in the middle of the store!  Keeping my composure calm, I say, "I have asked about these for days. I've been told there was nothing here, but my nurse assures me there is- that someone here today told her I had two prescriptions here that have been ready for days and in fact, you have another one that won't be ready until later this week when you get in a shipment."  I wait while she smacks her gum and tells me, "nothing is here for you." Commence stand-off  and stare down.  I'm going nowhere.  She's saying nothing.  Finally I try again.  "That is so strange. How can this be?"  She asks, "do you possibly go by another name?"  I answer, "why no.  I've only ever been Amy-maiden name-married name."    She says to hold on and disappears for a moment.  She returns to tell me that there is nothing for me and can I give her the two first letters of my last name again.  She tries it to no avail.  Not wanting to be a pain and hold up the long line, but wanting my medicine, I offer my insurance card and explain that I've gotten medicine under MY name many times in the past four months I've lived here.  She disappears again, comes back and says, "you're Amy Baker."  I say, "no, I'm not."  She says, "well, here at this pharmacy you are.  Remember that.  You're Amy Baker from now on.  If you come and ask for a prescription under any other name you won't get it.  You're Amy Baker."   Mystery solved.  

I have an Alias....  Baker... Amy Baker....

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Not funny that your patience was tried so, but your description was priceless! I don't suppose they can just go into the computer and correct your name??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think so, Julie!!! I think I'll call my insurance company and insist they send me a new card with the correct name!

    ReplyDelete